Pages

Tuesday, September 09, 2014

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS#33: THOMAS LOW

Fellow geneablogger Amy Johnson Crow of No Story Too Small has issued the
52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge. Basically, we have to post something every
week on a different ancestor, whether a story, picture, or research problem. For
this prompt I've tried to concentrate on ancestors I haven't researched as much
as I have others in my family tree. This post my subject is my 9x great grandfather
Thomas Low(Lowe)

Once again I turned to GoogleBooks and William Richard Cutter:
Thomas Low (1), of Chebacco Parish, Ipswich, now Essex, Massachusetts, was born
in England, and is believed to have been a son of Captain John Low, master of the ship "Ambrose," and viceadmiral of the fleet that brought over Governor Winthrop's colony in 1630. The cane and bible which are said to have been the property of Captain John have been handed down in the families of the Essex Lows, and are still owned by 

one of them. The Bible was "Imprinted at London by Christopher Barker, Printer 
to the Queenes most excellent Majestie, dwelling in Pater Noster Rowe at the 
signe of the Tigreshead Anno 1579." Thomas Low was in Ipswich as early as 1641, 
and according to his own deposition was born in 1605. He was a malster, and died September 8, 1677, when his son John succeeded to the business and continued it 
until 1696. Thomas Low married Susannah, who died in Charlestown. August 19, 
1684, aged about eighty-six years. Their children: Margaret, born in England, 
married, April 8, 1657, General Davidson: Thomas, born 1632; Sarah, born 1637, married Joseph Safford; John, born probably in Ipswich, married Sarah Thorndike. p1008

Genealogical and Personal Memoirs Relating to the Families of Boston and Eastern Massachusetts, Volume 2 (Google eBook) Lewis Historical Publishing Company,
1908 Boston (Mass.)

Interesting. While some of my ancestors had "ordinaries" and probably made their own
beer, this is the first one I know of whose primary occupation was brewing beer. Also, I
hadn't known about the possible connection to John Low until I read this.

I am descended from Thomas Low through his daughter Sarah and her husband Joseph
Safford.

2 comments:

Celia Lewis said...

Wait a minute - you have daughter Sarah Low/e marrying Joseph Safford, then comment that you're related through Sarah and her husband Thomas Safford. Did I miss something here?

Bill West said...

I;ve corrected it Celia. Thanks for catching that!